A Florida mom is under police investigation after she posted a video to Facebook showing her 1-year-old daughter being bitten by a red ratsnake.
The mom, who is remaining unidentified told WFTS that she did intentionally allowed a snake to bite her infant because she wanted to introduce snakes to her child and she thought it was “harmless.” “It had bitten me and my son and didn’t leave a mark, several times,” she told WFTS. “So, I thought it was a good opportunity to introduce her without actually getting hurt.”
The video clip shows the unnamed mom raising a clear, plastic bin containing the small snake up to her child’s sit-and-play device, and the baby reaches into the bin to touch the snake, which proceeds to bite her finger. After the child begins crying, her mother can he heard on camera laughing.
While the video has since been removed from Facebook since it has received so much backlash, the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office says they are still investigating the incident, according to WFTS.
The mom told the outlet that she does not regret allowing the snake to bite her baby, saying, “It had bitten me and my son and didn’t leave a mark, several times. So, I thought it was a good opportunity to introduce her without actually getting hurt.”
She continued saying that the snake’s teeth are too small to actually puncture the skin, and she believes it’s important for her kids to learn what kind of wildlife to stay away from at an early age. “She’s not scared of snakes but she doesn’t want to touch them, either,” said the mom. “That was my goal.”
Watch this shocking video below and please SHARE it with your friends and family on Facebook!
Do you think this mom went too far? Would you ever allow your infant to be this close to a snake?
Let us know in the comments.
[Featured Image Credit: WFTS]