Cats are known for having nine lives, but one six-month-old kitten used up just about all of them within 30 minutes after she miraculously survived a rinse cycle in the washing machine.
Owner Ruth Horton had been doing some chores around the house when she noticed her six-month-old black cat named Kitty had disappeared. “It was unusual as whatever room I’m in she follows me in too. I started searching all the rooms in our house but I couldn’t find her,” Horton said. “So, I thought I’d take the washing out. But when I started to sort through the clothes which should have been very light, I noticed I had something very heavy in my hand. I realized it was my cat’s leg. She meowed and my first reaction was to scream as I thought she was dead. I felt sick and terrified.”
Horton rushed Kitty to Taverham Vets and was told that her hypothermic kitten most likely wouldn’t make it through the night. “Every time the phone rang I thought she was dead. But the next morning, we were told she was fine,” Horton said. “Normally it’s a sad outcome. Unfortunately, because of the temperature and the detergent, they pass away either through getting really hot or really cold. Also, the toxicity of detergent usually burns the skin. Kitty was given intravenous fluids and she was warmed up slowly and surely as she was so cold,” nurse Hayley Hyam said. “She was also given medication to help protect her system and oxygen therapy as she was struggling to breathe.”
Five days later, Kitty finally got to go home and has made a full recovery but Horton still isn’t sure how Kitty got in the machine in the first place. “I was in the laundry room sorting out the washing when I turned my back to pick up some detergent. Kitty must have sneaked in there without me realizing. I pressed the button and went off to eat dinner. I never thought anything of it,” Horton said. “It’s a miracle she’s alive.”
Can you believe this cat survived a half hour in the washing machine? Let us know what you think in the comments below and please SHARE this with friends on Facebook.
[Featured image: Taverham Vets]